WEMO Maker

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

WeMo blind

Hey Everyone! 

Ive got an outdoor blind that covers the whole western side of my deck its approx 9 meters wide (29.5 feet) and 2.4 meters high (7.87 feet)

IMG_2614.jpg

I have it motorised with a 12v electric winch attached to a car battery thats charged via a solar panel. So its totally green!

The blind is winched via a pulley system thats attached from the top of the blind to the top of the post on the deck. The ropes then run down the inside of the post then to the winch thats mounted under the deck.

.IMG_2615.jpg

I now have it WeMo Maker - Fied Smiley Wink

As I have only one maker it can only be programmed to open or close the blind, so at the moment its open.

With the wemo app ive set up the maker to turn on at exactly sunset so when the western sun has set, the maker turns on and the blind opens. Ive installed some reed switches so that when the blind is fully open the switch activates which cuts the power to the car battery, thus stoping the blind.

IMG_2600.jpg

One minute after sunset the maker is set to turn off.

IMG_2604.jpg

When the makers become available in Australia (which I hope is soon as I cant yet see it on the au belkin website) Ill have two and have the other one set up to turn on about 3 hrs before sunset to close the blind before the sun hits the windows of the house.

Then when IFTTT becomes available for the maker im hoping to set it up so when its windy or overcast ect... the blind will stay open.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: WeMo blind

Just a thought... what about using a flip-flop relay module so that one click would open the blind, then the next would close it, etc., etc.  I was using 2 WeMo switches to open and close my chicken coop, but went to this method so as not to need both switches for this one thing.  

One example: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/CEBEK-I-9-/28-5115

WEMO Maker Inventor

That is an UNREAL idea and I guess would work but im worried that when IFTTT is intergrated that it may cause the blind to open when it needs to close and vice versa.

WEMO Maker Inventor

[ Edited ]

Very cool project.  Maybe you could wire it so that the reed switches stop the motor in one direction each, and always let it run in the other?  A dual throw relay controlled by the maker would allow two isolated alternate direction circuit flows to be routed through the motor.  As a bonus the sensor can detect when it's all the way open all the way closed (unfortunately not both).

Something like this, where S1 & S2 are your reed switches.

(deleted the original drawing 'cause it was wrong, the correct one was posted by me on 11/20)

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yeah!

As I have it set up now, I do have one reed switch to stop when its open and another when its closed.

So when one reed is activated I can still have the winch move the other direction.

Im not an electronics guru so its kinda hard for me to fully understand your schematic. I do get the idea and I admit it does look pretty cool!

and im greatful that you took your time to actually draw this up.

And yes I was thinking I might hook up the sensor so I could tell if the blind is up or down when im away from home but at the moment my projects have come to a stop.. my maker has had a conniption.

WEMO Maker Inventor

That's frustrating about the Maker, just when you were getting it all going!

Basically the diagram must be pretty close to what you have, the addition being RY1 which swaps the open/close direction depending on whether the Maker switch is on or off - that let's you control it locally or remotely with a single click as you've probably guessed.  The easiest way I could sort it was to start at the battery and follow the wires through to the motor and the relay, to see how the blind will run until the relay turns it off.  Then imagine RY1 flipped and do the same, you'll see the current direction is swapped and the other relay is in play.  Of course if you wire it up be very careful not to short the battery!

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yeah it must be the same.....

Following the diagram from the battery does make it alot easier to understand. thanks!

shortening the battery, thats all I need! - I have put fuses everywhere though just to fail safe things a little..

Expert

This idea is simple but still luxurious. If I had this in my home, I'd feel like a million bucks Smiley Tongue

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yeah my friends and family think it's pretty cool!
And I saved heaps of money doing it myself,
Would have cost thousands If it wasn't for Wemo.
WEMO Maker Inventor

MikeP wrote:

Very cool project.  Maybe you could wire it so that the reed switches stop the motor in one direction each, and always let it run in the other?  A dual throw relay controlled by the maker would allow two isolated alternate direction circuit flows to be routed through the motor.  As a bonus the sensor can detect when it's all the way open all the way closed (unfortunately not both).

Something like this, where S1 & S2 are your reed switches.

schemeit-project.png

MikeP do you think you could provide me with specs on the relays you would use in this configuration. I would like to try and build this.

-G